Sunday, November 20, 2011

Lovin' Lynchburg

B and I were talking with the Js and discovered we finally (!) had a weekend where everyone was available. He and I have been trying to get up to Lynchburg to see them for a year and a half now...but when I got pregnant, we didn't want to travel anywhere because I wasn't feeling so hot in the beginning, and then we didn't want to go anywhere in case I got sick. (Heh, just imagine if we'd gone on holiday in March!) Anyways, after talking, Brandon and I decided to take up J and Jo's invitation and headed west. It was our first weekend away in over a year! While everyone else had been playing on the weekends, we were adjusting to parenthood...and at eight months in, we felt comfortable enough to finally take some time for ourselves.

I am typically a very light, efficient packer. I can pack everything I need for a weekend into a bookbag. Well, make that "I used to be able to..." I texted Jo and told her that I very much felt as though I were packing up the house! In a suitcase, I packed my clothes, Bean's clothes, a quilt and blankets for his Pack and Play, and shoes. (Thank you, Space Bags...) We had his Pack and Play. I had my pump. I had his babybag with a lunchbox to keep his bottles in. B had his suitcase. We had our winter coats. I had a purse. Oh, and we took the good camera, although we ran out of time and didn't get to use it. We also had an umbrella stroller. Then, of course, we had Bean and his car seat. So...the truck was packed.

Caleb did a great job traveling! He didn't fuss except when he was hungry, and we took care of that easily. When we got to J and Jo's, it was like arriving at home! Their townhouse was perfectly decorated (I would expect nothing less from Jo!) and they had a spice cake and cider waiting for us. We stayed in the girliest, most perfect pink "pout room," although I'm sure I enjoyed the girlieness far more than B did, lol. After taking Jo to dinner (since J was working), we came home, got the baby down, and watched television. It was a wonderful night with friends.

Saturday morning, they had planned the perfect visit itinerary! We headed to the White Hart Cafe, a repurposed store that held the cutest cafe and breakfast bar. After enjoying hot cocoa and chocolate bagels, we headed across the street to the farmer's market. From there, we went through the old downtown, it felt sorta like walking through Mayberry. We headed down to the river (downhill, in heels, may I add...) and walked along the water, then headed back UPhill for lunch. Whew! We ate at a cute little place called Market on Main...the best burger I'd had in ages!

Uncle J wanted to push the stroller!

Happy doing the Mommy thing...

Bundled up and ready to ride, Clyde

Love them!

Sitting in his big boy high chair at the market
 We headed back home so Jellybean could have a nap (how thoughtful that they scheduled the day around the baby's schedule! Love you, Jo!) and stuffed ourselves further with Jo's amazing spice cake. When the baby was up, we changed clothes and headed to the Lazy Days winery for a sampling. With about ten minutes before the sun set, J and Jo did a quick impromptu photo shoot of us. The setting was perfect, the sun setting behind the mountains in the background. There are more on J's photo blog here, but here's a sample of their amazing work!
Copyright Jason Jarvis Photography

Copyright Jason Jarvis Photography

Copyright Jason Jarvis Photography

I think the images are beautiful! Not everyone can capture exactly how you're feeling at that moment. I'd say, without a doubt, J and Jo managed to catch how happy my family makes me!

Our last stop on the tour was dinner at a fancy schmancy little place called Shoemaker's. When we arrived, I found that my childhood friend, Ashley, is a hostess there! She moved to the 'burg a few years ago and we've kept in touch via Facebook. Imagine my surprise when she greeted us! And, she only works there one night a week! What are the odds I'd run into her? It was a lovely mini-reunion, and of course, we caught a quick pic...
Beautiful Ashley, new mom to a precious little girl named Halle, with me and a smiling little Caleb
  We had a delicious steak dinner with all the fixins. The next thing we knew, J and Jo wanted dessert. We were stuffed, all we'd done since arriving was eat...but Jo ordered creme brulee and before B and I could make an order, the most amazing chocolate cake arrived with a special message...

Jason had asked Ashley if she could get the kitchen to do this as a tongue-in-cheek way of asking Brandon to be his best man. After almost giving it to the bartender, also named Brandon, my Brandon got his cake and message and happily accepted the job.
Two of the best men I know, no doubt!
After saying, "yes!" to Jason, Bran was presented lovingly with a huge ring pop. The arrangement was final! You'd have to know B and Jason's relationship to fully understand their sense of humor, but it was a perfect way for J to ask B to stand with him next October. And just as Brandon is honored to be Jason's best man, I have the pleasure and honor of being one of Jo's bridesmaids. It will be a wonderful family affair!

We headed home and watched Bridesmaids (appropriate, huh?) and some Lonely Island, then packed for the return trip home.

I woke up to this the next morning...
Caleb greets me, his face all smooshed up against the netting on his Pack and Play, hahaha
Alas, all good things must come to an end. After a round of hugs and repacking our house into the truck, we left the besties and headed back to Chesapeake. It was a perfect weekend. Having some time away to ourselves was far overdue. Being parents has changed so many things, like being able to be spontaneous...but this last minute trip was just what the doctor ordered. I can't wait to go on another adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment