Thursday, April 14, 2011

Attitude of Gratitude

I've posted before about how much we loved our doctors and nurses that took care of Caleb (and me!) when he was born. I had my follow-up with my OB today, so Caleb and I delivered baskets of chocolate and thank you notes to the folks who were so kind to us. I think it's so important to thank people; Mom raised me to write thank you notes, and I'm afraid that it's becoming a lost art. I also know what it feels like to work so hard all day, then to go home and think that you didn't do anything worthwhile or, if you did, no one noticed. B and I wanted everyone to know that they did do wonderful things and that they were noticed.

Dr. Pirkle hadn't seen Caleb since the second he was born. She had to rush out of our room and take care of another patient. In fact, she thought he'd end up getting transferred to CHKD. She was astonished when I told her he'd stayed at Leigh and was only there twelve days. She said that was pretty unusual and he must have been a strong little guy. I absolutely adore her; she has such a sweet bedside manner and always puts me at ease. I wrote about how just seeing her walk in our door calmed down both Brandon and myself. And well, she needed to know. She got a card and a little bucket of Ghiardelli. Here's a pic of her holding my Caleb...and she said he was so sweet and tiny, she might not be able to put him down. =)
Wonderful doctor, AND she's a Delta Zeta!
Next, we headed next door to Leigh and went back up to the Maternity Suite. I handed some cards and a bucket of candy to the ladies at the front desk and thanked them for taking such good care of us. Then, I asked if I could knock on the nursery door and deliver theirs; one of the nurses got up and swiped me in, instead. It was SO nice to see those nurses again...and especially nice knowing I got to leave with my Caleb in tow. =) The first one to see us was our dear Nurse Heather, who put down a current nursery resident to pick up Caleb. She couldn't believe how much he'd grown! She was soon joined by our sweet Nurse Jenn and Nurse Valerie. They all passed little man around and caught up on his progress. I delivered the notes and thanked them, again, for all they did to take care of Bean, Brandon, and me. They said it was a rarity to see the little guys after they've gone home from their extended stays; I think it made their day to see him so healthy! It was nice to see them. I don't think they will ever quite realize the impact they had on our family...

Our dear Nurse Heather

Nurses Heather and Valerie hold a stretching little Caleb

Nurse Jenn has her turn with little man

It feels good to say, "Thank you!" It feels good to let people know how they've impacted your life and touched your heart. What a wonderful day of seeing our nurse "friends" and showing them how well Caleb is doing. The smiles on their faces made it worthwhile.

And it felt really good to leave with my sweet little boy instead of leaving him behind. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment