Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The crazy lady with the baby

So I'm still adjusting to having a kiddo with me at all times...

On Sunday, I headed to a cookout to celebrate my BFF's recent wedding. B was supposed to go with me, but he caught some sort of stomach bug (I think it was food poisoning, but anyways...) and so I headed out alone. My first thought was to leave Caleb at home, since I'd be solo and knew that it would be hot and potentially crowded, but then I realized that my DZ Heather would be there from Arkansas and hadn't met Caleb yet. So I packed up the house (heh) and headed to the cookout.

It was crazy hot, the hottest day of the year so far. I headed out back and sat under the big tent (thank goodness!) and chatted with Heather and other friends of Manda's who were there to celebrate her big day. A lot of people asked to hold the baby, which was fine with me, but here's where I have my dilemma. I always worry about putting people out. I never want to be the crazy lady with the baby who expects everyone to hold him and make over him. Everyone that held him was told, "Don't feel like you have to hold him. Just let me know when you've had enough." It's probably overkill; I'm sure most people will toss him back when they've had enough baby time. But I worry about these things. (Hello! If you know me, you know I worry about stupid things like this...)

I can say I've had the experience of being given a baby to hold and snuggle...then having the mom come back like an hour later after she did her own thing to pick up her little one. Awkward, much? I would never want to be the subject of conversation for putting someone out like that.

I wish B could have gone. He could've been my backup. I don't worry about him holding the baby while I go to the bathroom or grab a bite to eat. Instead, Heather held him while I fixed a plate and Mary held him while I went back to the car to get his car seat. It wasn't but a couple of minutes, but I still hate to think I inconvenienced anyone. It was SO hot, we were all sweaty (including the baby...who eventually had his onesie removed and was only wearing his little overalls...) and I know holding him made me hotter. I'm sure he got the other gals all sweaty.

Probably no one else on the planet would worry about this crap. I'm not really sure why I do. I don't want anyone to think they can't look at the baby without being expected to hold him. I don't want anyone to feel like they'll get stuck with him for a while. But I also don't want anyone to feel like I'm some sort of crazy overprotective mom who doesn't want her baby handled by others. I'm happy to share him!

Sigh...I'm not sure why this has stuck in my head. Why look for something to worry about? I'm just not sure of all the baby etiquette. =) They don't write anything about that in the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment