I finally got to take Bean to school to meet my first graders. It has been about 10 weeks since I saw them last! I dressed Caleb in a cute turtle outfit--the kiddos know how much I love turtles--and we headed in to visit on a Friday afternoon. (I figured they would be so stirred up after my visit that doing it then would lessen the stress for Stephanie!)
I was so glad to see them, and they obviously missed me. I cannot believe how much they'd changed! Sydney had gotten all her hair cut off, Mya's had gotten so long, Aidan had shaved his head. I know they change a lot from September to June...but seeing them after such a long break showed me how much I had truly missed. They got a little wild--sorry, Steph--but they were so sweet and were glad to see the baby. About half of them had brought gifts. Caleb got some really cute things...a musical elephant, a couple froggie outfits, a sweet ODU hat for a couple years down the road (thanks to my sweet Jackson, whose family has season tix to every sport I think!), onesies, hats, teethers...once again, Caleb was spoiled rotten. Abby and her mom had even made a fleece blanket with monkeys on it, a perfect gift since I referred to my kiddos as "silly monkeys" from time to time. =)
While I was opening their gifts (and they were all getting crazy!), Stephanie held him. Then, a couple minutes later, Gina Stukes came over and kidnapped him. How wonderful that she got to snuggle with him--she practically measured my belly every morning and used to rub it and talk to him when I was pregnant. =) I went to visit her kiddos (many of whom I taught last year) while my class packed up, then I hugged each and every one of my babies as they headed out to the buses.
I'm so glad to be able to stay at home with my Caleb through August...but it was bittersweet seeing my class. I worked my rear end off for three solid nine weeks. A couple of those kiddos were so special to me because we'd worked SO hard to get them where they are today. I'm proud of them. Sometimes, school comes so easily to the first graders; the reading and writing and all of the complicated math skills are cake. But there are always a few that struggle...and it is the biggest perk of the job to see them become successful by June. I hate that I am missing that with a few of them. At least they have a wonderful sub...I trust Stephanie with them, for sure! They are very lucky to have her and be able to finish out the year with her.
I can't post a picture because of privacy, but I took a class picture with my babies and my baby, which I think I needed for some sort of closure since I missed the class picture day while out on leave. I'll miss the class, but I am planning to visit for field/party day in June.
I'm glad I got to see them, but it showed me that the time I have at home with my Caleb is even more precious than my time with them at school!
No comments:
Post a Comment