Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day 2: Fact or Fiction?

We woke up the next day, 24 hours after becoming parents, and started making sense of things.

Mom had run over to our house to get Maggie some food and to clean. She knew I'd go nuts if I came home to a dirty house, so she went over and straightened up and cleaned all she could. I hope she knows how much we appreciate that!

Later, B ran home for a while and I did some school work on the laptop. No, I'm not insane. But I had left unexpectedly and I am not the kind of person who can just up and leave. I had to get some things done and emailed. I emailed my senate minutes to the teachers...twice, actually, as I forgot to attach them the first time. =) Everyone thought I was nuts, but I am just OCD enough that it had to be done. I checked my Facebook and tried to respond to as many people as possible. I put up some pics. I tried to rest.

We visited the nursery. Bean was still in his "box," his isolette. He looked so tiny in there. We happened to visit as the occupational therapist, Steve, was getting ready to feed Caleb a bottle. Realizing we were the parents, he sat us down immediately and showed us how to feed Caleb using the therapy techniques needed to help him learn to suck/swallow/breathe at the same time. We were taught to cover the baby's eyes and hold him away from my body to minimize distractions. We hold the bottle up, look for some air bubbles, then hold it down while Caleb still sucks at the nipple so we can check his actions. Then, we grab Caleb under the chin like a choke hold, throw him forward, and hit him on the back til he burps. It looks a little barbaric, but if it's what he needs to learn the motions, so be it!

Steve is showing me what to do with little man
Our parents visited throughout the day, and so did Felicia, but it was nice to have a little time in between to catch our breaths and rest a little. B's dad and Doris brought Gramma to the hospital. She got to see her great-grandson for the first time ever.

Again, everyone left and we got ready for bed. Our night nurses, Brianna (a student) and Tina were so gentle and caring. They took good care of both of us. And when I called them for a pain pill at 4am, Brianna said, "It's about time you sold your @ss for a pain pill!" yup, she totally called me out. =)

As B slept soundly next to me, and I did rest more comfortably (thanks to the IV being out of my hand!) I said my prayers...and I lost it. The thought of leaving my little guy behind just ripped my heart out. I sobbed and sobbed and cried out to God to give me the strength to leave the next day. I know we were hand-picked for this job; I don't think that just anyone could leave their son in the nursery until he's strong enough to come home. But after two crazy days that already seemed so surreal, the thought of leaving empty-handed was too much for me. Brandon finally heard me crying and got up to hold me and comfort me. I finally settled down enough to rest, but it wasn't as restful as I'd hoped it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment